Two days webinar on Friday 10 December 2021 (9:00 am - 4:30 pm) and Friday 7 January 2022 (9:00/9:30 am - 4:30/5:00pm)
Trainer: Konstanze Bittmann, bonadea coaching
A lot of PhD holders/ graduates want to transition into careers outside of academia but struggle to know which career path they would like to pursue. They rarely take the time to reflect on what kind of work they actually enjoy, and what their values, interests and goals in life are. To be successful in the job hunt it is essential to know what you bring to the table as well as being able to sell yourself. During this seminar, we will cover the following topics with all participants:
- Analyzing skills, competencies and core values: What are you good at? What do you enjoy doing? Which “hidden” competencies are participants maybe not aware of? What experiences in have given you unique insights or skills? Etc.
- Discovering career and life goals: What kind of work would you like to do? What are your dreams and ideas for the future?
- Exploring career options: Where do people with a PhD work outside academia?
- How can you sell yourself successfully to employers outside of science? What do you need to tell them about yourself in order to land a job?
- Decide on your next steps (action planning)
After this course, participants
- Have analyzed their skills and competencies as well as the areas that need improvement (skills gap)
- Have a better understanding of their life and career goals and what motivates them (through core values exercise)
- Are aware of career options outside science
- Know how to introduce and present themselves with the AIDA formula to wow people at networking events/ conferences/ job interviews etc.
- Have planned next steps for their career search
- Trainer input/ short lectures, group work, discussion to build individual competencies profiles
- Self-study: introspection and individual work with coaching exercises (using worksheets)
- Partner exercises/ tandem work (for example elevator pitch/ AIDA formula)
- Comparison of self-perception and social perception (of others)
- Peer coaching as a technique that can help to create support networks
- Success Stories (R.N. Bolles)
- Trainer feedback as well as guided peer feedback
- Case studies from the experience of the trainer
„Homework“ before the first training session as well as inbetween appointments
Participants will receive accompanying handouts/ exercise sheets with each module/ appointment. Flipcharts pictures from face-to-face workshops as well as the group chat in potential zoom sessions will be delivered afterwards to the participants.
All information shared with the trainer will be held strictly confidential.